Friday, March 28, 2008

Who doesn't like free?

I read a lot of magazines. No, let me re-phrase that. I read A LOT of magazines. Some I subscribe to and some I scrounge for in the mailroom.

One of my latest mailroom finds was the Spring issue of Real Simple Travel. Over a few days I managed to read every page and I even placed a few Post-It flags so I would remember to check out a website or tear out a recipe for Sangria.

One of the articles I flagged was titled 20 Tips From Air-Travel Insiders. It listed a lot of useful suggestions from flight attendants and airline public-relations representatives, such as bringing your own blanket since apparently airline blankets are only washed when they look dirty, and that disinfecting wipes come in handy for the never-washed tray tables.

But my favorite tip praised the value of sample size cosmetics and toiletries. It's my favorite tip because it listed websites where you could find free samples, and honestly, I'm a sucker for free. With new rules about the amount of liquids that can be carried on to a plane, sample sizes of commonly used items have never been more popular. The article listed 2 websites where freebies were offered in abundance, and as long as you don't mind typing your name and address a few times I think visiting here is totally worth the time. In 4-6 weeks I should receive a few lotion samples and some Fiber One cereal, not bad. That site is hosted by WalMart and is associated with StartSampling which I also recommend. I've been visiting that site for years and they have evolved into quite a cool place to find freebies and coupons. They also have a blog now with some great offers there too. My trip there tonight should result in a trial size deodorant and some shampoo.

Visit here at your own risk. It was mentioned in the article too but it involved a lot of clicking and I totally anticipate that my Spam folder will be overloaded tomorrow.

But I know many of you probably aren't interested in free stuff (wuh?) but you probably want something in return for spending your time reading this post. So with that I offer you the Sangria recipe that I also flagged in my free issue of Real Simple Travel. Enjoy!

In a shaker mix together:
4 oz. medium bodied red wine (such as Shiraz)
1/2 oz. brandy
4 oz. fresh orange juice
1 t. fresh lemon juice
1 t. sugar
Shake and serve over ice and garnish with a slice of orange and lemon

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're funny, I'm more into the freebies than the booze. ;) - astoria708