I love my children equally, I really do. Most parents when comtemplating adding to their family often wonder, "How could I ever love another they way I love little John?" Most parents who already have more than one child will tell you "You just do" and they're right.
But... Isn't there always a but? My youngest daughter Jayden is a hoot. Not only is she a hoot, she's a ham. Whereas my oldest daughter Ryann is also a hoot, she is rarely a ham. Jayden is almost 4 and everything that comes out of her mouth is hilarious. She is discovering the world and she likes to share her discoveries, complete with hand gestures, all while watching her reflection in the window that she sits across from at the dinner table. The more we chuckle at her, the greater the show. She loves to be the center of attention and if you laugh at her then she turns up the amp and gives you all she has.
Ryann is 7. She loves the attention of her parents as well, but it must be known that seldom is it her intention to be funny, so please do not laugh at her. Ever. Saying to her "but you're just so cute Mommy and Daddy have to laugh" will not help. Defending your laughter will only make her throw herself on the floor instead of hiding her head on the table. God forbid she sees you smile at her while she is dancing or singing or making her Barbies talk. She will react with the fury of a child deprived of their favorite toy. This stuff is serious and not worthy of laughter or smiles.
The problem this personality difference in my two daughters presents is that to some it may appear that I prefer Jayden over Ryann. Jayden is often asked to perform her talents for a variety of friends and family. "Jayden, sing 1-2-3 for Grandma". "Jayden say pumpkin for Auntie". While Jayden complies Ryann has usually crawled inside my shirt sleeve so that she can shield herself in case someone smiles in her direction.
The point in all of this is that we can love our children equally, but still honor their differences. I love that Ryann is sweet and sensitive and never tires of leaving notes around the house saying how much she loves her family. I love all of that the same way I love that Jayden lives to sing "I always feel like somebody's watching meeeeeee" just like she was alive in the 80's when it was popular.
Despite loving them equally, and unbeknownst to Jayden, I have allowed her to name my blog. It's one of the many things she has said to me that I have found utterly hilarious. Last summer on the 4th of July as we were packing up to leave our local metropark after watching magnificent fireworks, my somewhat chilled and tired Jayden had the hiccups. As I carried her to the truck, preparing myself for the traffic we would have to endure to leave the park she whined to me "Mommy I need some Hiccup Medicine". I of course informed her that I didn't have any. So as only a 3 year old in the year 2007 could conclude she said "then you better go buy some".
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment