Saturday, October 11, 2008

Dreams and Possibilities

"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning." ~ Gloria Steinem

Yesterday, the above was my Real Simple Quote of the Day. You're probably thinking, "So?" Well, after an interesting week that began on Monday with me giving notice at my job, the quote seemed quite significant, a true sign that I was making the right decision.

After seven and a half years at my current job, and twelve years total of commuting at least an hour a day each way, I have had enough. I've been saying that for about 2 years, but as the main breadwinner in my family and with a husband in college there wasn't much room for career changes. But on Monday morning something occurred to me. Life is short, and I am happy in every area of my life, but one. I don't enjoy my job. I'm stifled, I can't be creative because I'm stressed. I'm short with my kids, and always rushing somewhere. For a life that is short, how is this enjoyable? It isn't. Is this the smartest decision I have ever made? Probably not. Is it the bravest decision I have ever made? Absolutely. Is it the biggest chance I have ever taken on myself? You betcha.

I gave 6 weeks notice. I have 5 weeks left to find something that will pay the bills and keep us afloat. But there isn't much I'm not willing to do. Honestly making lattes sounds wonderful and would probably make me happier than I have been. Anything that allows me some flexibility to be with my kids, and in my car less sounds great. In fact, if I can find something that I'm passionate about then time in the car won't be bad. I need time to clear my head and remember what I wanted to be when I grew up. I have made some great connections in the last week and I pray something comes from one of them. I pray that 12 years in the same field will pay off and that someone will encourage someone else to take a chance on me. I'm motivated, I'm energized, and I'm happy for the first time in a really long time.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Stacy~
Let me start by saying "Congratulations!" I, too, will pray for you. That is an awesome leap of faith you are taking. Many people realize too late in life that "life is too short". I am so happy that you had this epiphany at a time when you have so much ahead of you. You are such a talented and motivated person that I know the right thing will come along for you. Just know you have a prayer warrior in me. Keep in touch and Godd bless!
Love ya~Tammey

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That's an amazing leap! I'm so excited for you and will also pray you find what makes you happy! ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Wow... you amaze me. I wish I had the strength to do what you are doing. I'll be thinking about you and wishing all the best.

Anonymous said...

Stacy,
This entry is inspiring!!! For anyone stuck in the same rut, LISTEN UP!!!! Seeing you take this leap makes me that much more confident in the decision I've made about going back to school and searching out what I know I was always meant to be. Lets just continue with the happiness FOREVER!! Love~Molly

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your change and get out of the car. Trust me on that, I drive 10 minutes to work after spending the last 15 years driving 40 minutes each way. Unwind time is over rated.
I hope you do not mind I found your blog. Congrats with the girls, they are gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

OK TLM, fess up, who are you?

Anonymous said...

Go back about 16-18 years and you should figure out my initials.

Anonymous said...

Holy Sh..!

Anonymous said...

HURRAY for Stacy!!!! I just know things will work out for you! No one deserves to be happy more than you and Cory and the girz do. I (one that rarely prays) will be praying for you, too. Just remember the last time I prayed the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup for Vlady. :o)

Love, Sid

PS Thank you SO much for keeping the girls on Sunday. I just KNOW Lexie would have had to go potty right before Kylie's team came on!

Anonymous said...

I obviously haven't checked your blog in way to long! CONGRATULATIONS! I will pray that you find what makes you truley happy. Truly inspiring! I wish I had that courage.
-Kristen