Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday in bed

For the first time in several years I don't think I will enter one retail establishment today. Today. Black Friday. The top shopping day of the year. After perusing the ads yesterday I found there just wasn't anything worth hauling my ass out of bed that early for just to save a few bucks. In fact, my ass stayed in bed until about 10 am today and it felt wonderful!

Breakfast, or brunch rather, consisted of leftover pumpkin pie that my Grandma makes from scratch (no cans involved) and leftover turkey on a roll. My drink of choice this morning was a homemade Chai Latte. I found some recipes for making your own mix online and bought all the ingredients Wednesday, and it's wonderful! Two to three heaping tablespoons in some hot water and you'd swear you had stopped at Starbucks while sleepwalking. Even my dear husband is impressed and that is not easy to do :)

Our plans today consist of keeping our children away from the front window just in case our lovely neighbors across the street decide it's Christmas tree time. For some reason I am not even close to being ready to put up a tree. In fact my humongous snowman collection has not even hit the mantle yet this year and we've had snow for almost 2 weeks! I usually put my snowmen up as soon as Halloween is over, but this year I just couldn't do it. My wall to wall mantle has been painfully bare this whole month. Which for me, the candle freak, is saying a lot. We plan to spend some time in the basement today and try to figure out why our big screen TV down there won't work. It's only 6 years old, and we hope it's child error. Meaning having your 8 year old hook up the Playstation 2 without supervision may not be the best idea we've ever had. During this time when I guard our children from my husband's potty mouth (which my 4 year old has taken to repeating) I may get the snowmen out and begin to admit that the holiday season is in full swing and there is no stopping it. We drew names yesterday for the gift exchange and the shopping will have to start sooner or later. Even if I don't have a job :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black Friday at your former Meijer in Jackson was surprisngly well organized and actually fun! Of course, we didn't have the stampeding kind of bargains that Wal*Mart and other stores had. Still, Jim was (I heard) pleased. I am having trouble getting into decorating gear myself. I am thinking of ONLY putting up my snowmen and no tree except the Charlie Brown tree I purchased this year. Sigh. Is this a sign of old age?

Love, Sid
PS: It REALLY needs to quit snowing on Mondays when I have to drive to Molly's!!!