Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Mental Illness

How do you make yourself mentally strong? Is it even possible? Sometimes I think that mood altering drugs have become the norm. I've been on them, they've done wonders for me, and then I go off of them and do okay too. But then I have bad times. Times where things people do and things people say flip a switch inside of me and I instantly feel mad, sad, irritated, you name it, the feelings come from nowhere.

I've struggled with depression at least since highschool, only I guess no one really knew that was why I didn't want to get up and go to school everyday. It's ebbed and flowed since then, sometimes it's spikes my anxiety issues as well. It's never ending.

The interesting part is that if you open up about it, depression and anxiety issues are eerily common. Does it stem from an overwhelming need to be perfect? A need to be everything to everyone? Or it is simply thin skin? But I see it as more of a blackness. A blackness that enters the room and hovers over me for no apparent reason at all. I do my best to not give it the attention it craves. Keep on working, chat with my husband about it. Anything at all that will help me pass the time until it's gone and I can feel happy again. It passes, but I feel cheated. Why did I waste the time feeling mad, sad, or irritated when I have so much to be happy about?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could’ve written this! I’ve been feeling the exact same way lately. Actually, so have several others I know. Something in the air? I don’t know, but boy can I relate. And I AM on meds... so imagine how bad it’d be if I wasn’t. Anyway, know you’re not alone, and as you said... it’ll pass. Hopefully sooner than later.

((hugs))

Anonymous said...

You made me cry. I know you have had "issues" with depression. I appreciate an inside view of why you feel the way you do. I think it will help ME to be a better person and to be more tolerant of others who may also be struggling. Thank you! I love you!

Anonymous said...

you two made me cry!!! It's just something that I started writing and it just came out of me. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, it MUST be in the air, I feel the same thing right now. Hang in there, chickie...you're definitely not alone on this one.

Anonymous said...

Joyce Meyer! She has changed my life!

I hope you feel better, sweetie! I will call you.

Anonymous said...

Here too... I have been attributing it to going back to work & the weather (I need some sun). But maybe it is more than life (in general) being tough. Thanks, you gave me something to think about.

Anonymous said...

I think the economy has something to do with it. It's hard to be upbeat when prices are rising. Ugh...I guess this is what my parents went through 20 years ago. I was almost certainly a depressed child before it was a common diagnosis. I try to manage my feelings through occasional therapy and herbal medicine (St. Johns Wort). Different things work for different people. I call my black cloud a blue cat that comes in and sits on my chest and won't move. The important thing is that it will pass. Hugs. (astoria708)