Thursday, January 15, 2009

Inspiration

My original plan for this post was to share my love of lyrics. I go through spurts where I am so tuned in to lyrics in songs that I don't notice the music itself, and lately I've been going through a major spurt :)

I went to my bookcase to pull out the overflowing notebook of lyrics that I have been keeping since 1985. Yes, back before you could get the lyrics with every album purchase. I did it the old fashioned way. Tape recorder, pause button, pen and paper. Line by line.

But next to the lyric binder there was another binder. A binder I thought had been inadvertently disposed of during an episode of nesting. But no, this was my Holy Grail. At least as much as someone looking to launch (or re-launch) a writing career can have a Holy Grail. This blue binder is from the creative writing class I took in community college. Not only does it have everything I wrote in that class, it has many short stories, poems, movie outlines and tv scripts that I wrote throughout my teenage years, as well as a few very enlightening "notes to self".

I could have cried with joy at finding this material. I've been pouring through it page by page. What an awesome young person I was ;) There are movie posters that I drew for movies I was going to star in with Kirk Cameron. There are listings for who I was competing against for the Emmy award. There are poems about love that will never be, and poems that questioned the love I was in.

My favorite piece in the Holy Grail is a poem I had completely forgotten. One that I wrote as I embarked on a big change in my life. It could really apply to many situations in life, but it's probably obvious what it's about. The odd part is that it could apply to many things in my life right now just as well as it did in 1992. I'm just trying to figure out if that's a good sign or a bad one. It has no title but I want to share it with you. I hope you enjoy it.

Eyes of Blue
Eyes of Green
Me? I'm sitting
somewhere between

One for comfort
One for change
Once I felt with my heart
now I feel strange

Or is there no feeling?
No feeling at all?
When I am hurting
which one do I call?

Is isolation the answer?
It's lonely behind a wall
But alone I will be safe
and less likely to fall

Now I remain neutral
Trying not to pursuade either way
Will I lose both comfort and change?
Will I lose my sanity along the way?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the poem! And the whole concept of the Holy Grail. I have some stuff I wrote in my twenties. Fun to re-read once in awhile. YOU are much braver than I am because you shared. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Loved it. Excellent piece. Though I've only come to find this 3 years after you've posted it, I'm still am glad I did.